Park Jubilee Celebrations June 2nd-5th
CANNON HILL DIAMOND DECADES PARTY and COMMUNITY GAMES
Tuesday 5th June 2012, 12-6pm in Cannon Hill Park
- A 1952 live bandstand with Andy Hamilton and the Blue Notebenders - “big bands” swing, jive and lindyhop open dance classes, from the Coronation Year.
- A Jubilee Party Performance stage with live music, dance and artists spanning the six decades of The Queen's reign, Steel Pans and Ceilidh.
- Vintage hair and make-up, as well as the 'styl potter's - best dressed' catwalk.
- The Big Skype – connecting Birmingham’s communities world-wide to the Queen’s Jubilee Party. Also, with Andy Lounds and Astronomers Without Borders to discover the dimensions of our Earth and its neighbouring planets. Observing the rare Transit of Venus in the early morning, Dark Sky discoveries in real time, and community scientists projects over the Jubilee Day.
- Birmingham Children’s Hospital celebrate 150 Yrs with an Urban Harvest Tea Garden, Retro Games and family entertainment.
- A Storytelling tent with royal fairytales, myths, tales and contemporary story making.
- The Park Village Green area, showcasing Birmingham communities folk traditions, participation in the Cannon Hill Community Games, with matches of Kabaddi and Capoeira.
- Pawfect Dogsense – giving dog owners old and new a glimpse of the world through their animals eyes, and simplifying the science of their training and behaviour.
- Release of 60 doves by the Digbeth Pigeon Loft Arts Project
- A Screening area, showing MACE (Media Archive of Central England) film and TV footage from the Coronation Year and other City events of the Diamond Decades.
- An Exhibition ‘Played in the Park’ of Birmingham sports clubs and games with film and talk by Steve Beauchampe, author and sports historian. This will be a three month exhibition in the 1930s Sons of Rest Park Pavilion.
- The Classic Motor Bike, Caravan and Bicycle Bazaar show of iconic vehicles and cycles made in the City.
- Interactive Photo Booth Studios: 'My Coronation', 'Family Portraits', ‘Birmingham Trades’, etc.
- ‘The Birmingham Beach’ Festival Stage with deckchairs, Punch and Judy , fancy dress, and a flotilla of boats on the lake.
- Robert Wilkinson’s Fun Fair rides, Carousels, Swing Boats, Helter Skelter and Dodgems.